Monday, June 2, 2008

Bueller? Bueller?

Yesterday, my roommates and I went to Chinatown. It wasn’t exactly what I expected. It was mainly many different well-known stores and restaurants (I saw a Fuddruckers for the first time) in one little small area. More on the outskirts are the various Oriental restaurants that I thought would be the main attraction of Chinatown. We ended up going to a Chinese-Irish pub/restaurant that was amazing. For dessert, we bought this Guinness ice cream brownie thing that was one of the most amazing things I have ever eaten.

Today, it was back to business clothes and back to fully planned days. Today I got on the Metro at a little before 8 a.m. and did not return back to my apartment until 10:30 p.m. The day began at my internship for the first day of work. It wasn’t too bad; it was actually better than I thought it was going to be. The people I work with seem to be very easy-going and people I could really see myself learning a lot from. Today was obviously very uneventful because I was only there for three hours, but in those three hours I learned and forgot almost everyone’s names. Then I looked online for articles, printed some things, and e-mailed another publication to see if we could use one of their articles in our magazine. The good/sad news is that there is a Burberry store right across the street from my internship site and I can look at the pretty bags yet be upset because never will I be able to afford one.

After that, each program at the Washington Center has events Monday afternoons related to the program they are in. Today the communications students went to the set of Face the Nation to get a tour and meet with the host Bob Schieffer. It’s safe to say that he is my favorite journalist that I have ever met, even though I have never seen the show. He was really nice and told us students exactly what it is like to be in the communications field. Every journalist I have ever met has tried to explain the field by talking about his past and basically talking himself up. Schieffer did not do this. He gave a little bit of how he came to be a journalist but then switched to answering our questions and telling us inside stories into the field. He said over and over again to just enjoy what you are doing with your life and do things you want to do regardless of whether or not it fits into your life plan. He then began telling us a story about how during the Kennedy assassination, he got a call when he was working on a paper from Lee Harvey Oswald’s mother wanting a ride to see her son. She did not know that she was calling a newspaper and back then, it was okay for journalists to disclose their identity. He ended up giving her a ride to the prison (or wherever Oswald was), and got an exclusive interview with her. Crazy!

Even later tonight, I had my first class, “The Nuts and Bolts of Journalism,” taught by a current AP journalist and the female version of Ben Stein’s character in Ferris Bueller. “Anyone? Anyone?” I swear to God she sounded exactly like him. She even paused multiple times in-between words when trying to complete a sentence. Other than that, the class is pretty much exactly like one that I have already taken. It is the same book that I used before, only a newer edition, and the same exact information. I could drop it, but who can say that they were taught by someone in the Associated Press?

No comments: