Saturday, May 31, 2008

Goodbye business clothes for two days, hello...rain?

So the first actual free day I have in DC without business clothes, without scheduled meetings and lectures, without forced walking directions, and it rains. Not just rain, but thunder, lighting, and tornado warnings for all of Alexandria. Awesome! My roommates and I had a few plans today, nothing special, but plans to at least go out and see DC. Nope, Mother Nature had to step all over that.

Anyway, watching the storm roll in from my sixth floor balcony was kind of interesting. One minute, it was sunny and clear and I could see miles out of the window, but within seconds the clouds formed and rain just poured from the sky. We were supposed to go on a walking tour of Georgetown, but it was full so we couldn’t go. Yeah, walking around Georgetown in the rain would have been a lot of fun!

Last night, my roommates and I took the Metro to the Smithsonian stop to wander around the city. We ended up walking to the Washington Monument, the WWII Memorial, and the Lincoln Memorial. At night, these attractions are some of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. The first time I was in DC, I don’t actually remember getting so close to the Washington Monument; I think my class only drove by it. This time, we went right up to it. Around the monument, there are benches that you can lay on and look up to the top. It was phenomenal. It almost looked like it was going to fall on you. Some brave souls laid at the bottom of the monument and looked up, but I was not that brave yet. After this, we walked across a big field to get to the WWII memorial, and sat at the edge of the water and watched the younger kids run around as they tried to find their state. We then walked to the Lincoln Memorial, another attraction I missed the first time I was here. It is so easy to sit on the steps at the Lincoln Memorial at 11 at night and just look out to the other memorials. I don’t know how long we sat there and talked, but it was great. All of my previous homesickness died last night and I am now in love with the city. If my internship goes really well, it is going to be really hard for me to leave at the end of the summer.

No comments: