I started writing this in the beginning part this afternoon, so it is going to start off as though I am there, but then it will eventually turn into what I am writing right now (I don’t know if that made sense, but whatever).
So, I am sitting in a huge concrete blocked auditorium listening to a panel of past Congressmen discuss the upcoming election…and I’m falling asleep. I decided to “take notes” (write this) to at least make it look like I’m paying attention. Looking around at the hundreds of other interns around me, I can tell that they are just as interested in the panel as I am. Even one of the panel members looks like he is about to fall asleep actually I think he is sleeping. Oh, wait, nevermind, he is talking. Damn, tricky republicans. The moderator, a political something or other from NPR, has a speech impediment and although I respect that he works for NPR, every time he pronounces an “s” or a “c,” I can’t help but suppress my giggles. Oh, wait, it looks like things are getting heated between the old men…okay I lied, it was nothing. Anyway, the speakers are starting to get interesting. Mr. NPR is telling a story about an intern doing research for him and when she came back she said I got everything you wanted, but I couldn’t find any information about Malcolm the 10th.
Okay, so now it’s reflection.
Before the programming started, I had my palm read by the girl sitting next to me, who is from North Korea and is in my journalism class. I don’t know how her, the guy sitting next to us (also in my class) and I got on this subject, but I found out she can read palms. Basically this is what she said: I have a healthy life, but it won’t last long. I will have two loves in my life and my husband will be above average when it comes to looks. I will start my career with a really good job, and will be very successful if I chose to go into business, but eventually my job will fizzle. The best part of it though, was that I am going to be rich because I will save my money and not spend it on anything.
The best part of these Monday afternoon lecture series is the question and answer time. The people around me and I were hoping that the “What about the babies?” guy would stand and ask about the babies again, mainly for more mocking material. Sadly, he didn’t. But the Q&A part is still the best. People formulate their questions in the best possible way to make them sound as intelligent as they possibly can. Today, one person had their question written out so well, used so many big words, made their point in such a long convoluted way and their question was so hidden that soft, questioning murmurs escaped the mouths of the audience and the panel didn’t even know what the hell the guy was saying. After that, someone asked why John McCain is not going to get any flack for being rich when he is running for office when that was all John Edwards got. The republican ex-Congressman looked at him and basically said that his question is irrelevant and has no real point in the conversation. The other ex-Congressmen then answered the question and the guy was on his way back to his seat when the first republican stopped the guy by saying something like hey, wait, you stop. He then proceeded to talk about how in the upcoming months we will hear about McCain’s wife and how she used to be a pill popper. Again, the audience let out more questioning murmurs trying to figure out how that related to the guy’s question. Needless to say, I look forward to the question and answer portion of the lecture.
No comments:
Post a Comment