Sunday, June 29, 2008

When in DC...break your flip flop?

Yesterday marked my one month stint in DC. I still cannot believe that I have been here for a month; my DC life has begun to feel normal, as if I have been here my entire life and I will continue to be here forever. I don’t really know how to explain it, but it doesn’t seem like I’m going back to La Crosse in August, that I will be here forever.

Anyway, I haven’t written in awhile because this week has been crazy busy. I actually got to write at work for a few days. Okay, so it more like rewriting and rearranging sentences, but it felt like writing to me (compared to all the bitchwork I have been doing). I rewrote these little bios about people who received an award from the organization I work at and about some of the conferences they went to—both of which are going in the organization’s annual report. I also redesigned their Media Kit which is a brochure, letter and order form that goes out to many different organizations all over the country. I really like when my supervisor gives me graphic work to do. I have never really had a chance to do anything like that (not that I didn’t want to, but I’ve always been stepped over when it comes to those sorts of things). Anyway, I have always loved Photoshop and other design computer programs so I’m really glad I’m getting to chance to learn more about it. My organization uses this program called Quark instead of InDesign like I am used to. I have never used this program, but I have picked up on it really fast, and I’m getting pretty good at it (or at least I think so). I wish they would give me more design projects, because that’s where I’m learned the most in my internship.

I also solved the big comma debate from last summer. Okay, so here is the back story. Once I got to college, I was told to get rid of the comma before the ‘and’ in a list, so I did. Then, when I was correcting some brochure for the Box Office, a few of us disagreed as to whether or not the comma is supposed to be there. Anyway, I was told that is has to be there. As I was copy-editing an article for NLADA, I noticed that they got rid of all the commas. Needless to say, the comma does not need to be there. Okay, so I know that is a long, probably unnecessary story, but I know some of the Box Office ladies read this and I thought they would get a kick out of it.

Anyway, this past weekend was jam-packed with funness. On Friday night, two of my roommates and I went to this place called Café Asia. It is a Chinese, Thai, Asian, etc. restaurant that was very cheap. I’m not a very big fan of that kind of food, but I vowed I was going to try new things this summer. The prices and the restaurant ware amazing, but the food…not so much. None of us really liked our meal, but mine especially was one that I could not even finish. The waiter was nice though and took it off my bill (this first real nice waiter in DC). Other than that, they had sake for really cheap. I have never had it and have always wanted to try it so I got some. Yeah, another thing that was not so good. I think I might have liked it better had it not been for the fact that I cannot take shots. The times I got it down without gagging it was good, but other than that, it was warm and according to my roommate, tasted like vodka on the way down and had a red wine/Merlot aftertaste. Come to think of it, the aftertaste of it was what made it not so great.

Yesterday, I ventured out to the Folger Shakespeare Library. On the way, I passed the Library of Congress and the Senate building, the closest I have been to those buildings. The Shakespeare Library was not as good as I thought it was going to be. Basically the exhibit was 10 or 15 glass cased pieces of armor in this one great hall. Off to one side, there are two locked doors with curtains over the windows and ropes in front of the entryway; this is where the library filled with the good is. The library is closed off to everyone except for researchers, which is ironic because during the video the voice over person said that the preservers want all the documents accessible to everyone and do not want them to be locked up behind some case. Hmm? Anyway, the gift shop and the theatre were pretty exciting. Actually, I think the theatre was my favorite part. Nothing was going on, but it was open and you could wander all around the seating, and on stage. It was beautiful; with the audience on three of the four sides of the stage. It was like an actual theatre during Shakespeare’s time, minus the outside, the peasants standing on the floor and well it has indoor plumbing and electricity. But it was pretty.

Later that night, one of my roommate’s friends came to visit and we saw Wall-E. Afterwards, we walked the however many blocks to the capitol. It was probably around 11 at night and the security guards outside let us walk up to the ropes on the capitol steps. It was the closest I have been there since the last time I was in DC. Within the next couple of weeks I know I get a tour of the capitol and of the Library of Congress so I’m getting pretty excited about that. Anyway, we then were on our way to the monuments and somehow ended up walking in front of this stagnant pool of water in front of the capitol filled with little gnats and gross bugs that got all over us. Needless to say we ran out of there as quick as we could.

Today, we went to the Spy Museum. The second we get there, my flip flop breaks. Seriously, we were there for 5 minutes, hadn’t even gotten on the elevator to get to see anything and my flop breaks. I didn’t want to walk around barefoot, so I used my hair tie and wrapped it around my flip flop and my toe to make a make-shift flop. I cannot believe how well it worked, and really did not give me any trouble until we got back to our Metro. The funny thing is, and I didn’t even remember it until we got home, but the first time I was in DC, my flip flop broke in the same way. Guess it’s a pattern.

No comments: