Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Gettin' Creative in the Bathroom

I have given up on PLANNING to go to bed early.

Apparently whenever I say to myself “you need to go to bed early tonight,” my body rebels and says “no, I will not do what you want; I am going to make you feel more awake than you have ever felt”. All day I planned that the moment I got back from Growing Up Loser (a movie series I started at Viterbo) I would crawl into bed. No distractions. No talking myself out of it.

But, here I am, 10:49 p.m., still wide-awake watching The Office and blogging.

The funny thing about this whole situation is that when put the finishing touches on talking myself into blogging for a few minutes, I realized I had nothing to write about. I logged on to blogspot, typed in my username and password, and then sat…for five minutes…with a blank page, a flashing cursor, and absolutely no idea what sort of brilliance to share with cyberspace.

And then, something amazing happened…something that got my creative Spidey senses tingling. I had to go to the bathroom.

I know it sounds weird—the bathroom as my own personal muse, but trust me, it works. Ever since I was little, I have found the bathroom to be a good place to go when stuck for ideas. I can remember bringing a notebook and a book into the bathroom and just sitting on the floor for hours doing my homework or reading. Looking back, I have to wonder what my mom guessed I was doing in the bathroom for all those hours—she never knocked or interrupted me to see if everything was okay.

I’m pretty sure the reason I find so much comfort in the bathroom is because it is the one place that I feel I have the most privacy; it is the one place where no one will bother me or barge into the room without knocking (at least I hope not).

No comments: