Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Long enough to be a novella (part one): Catching Up

In less than half an hour from when I started writing this, it will be exactly two months since I last posted on my blog. The last two weeks of my internship and the first four full weeks of my last semester in college have flown by so fast I’m almost waiting for my alarm to go off to find that I am still in DC and that no time has passed at all. All this talk is cliché, but true.

Even though so much time has passed, I feel as though I have nothing of importance to mention in my blog. I started working at the box office a few days after getting back from DC and classes started only a week after that. After 10 weeks of a completely new world that had opened to me, I am back to my same routine, it seems as though nothing has changed.

A few good things have happened to me since my return from DC. I became the assistant editor of the campus newspaper (mainly because no one else wanted it) allowing me to add another line to the experience category on my resume. After getting back and hearing that I spent the summer in DC as a communications intern, my newspaper advisor made me the journalism poster child repeating over and over again that the classes I have taken at Viterbo and the experience I gained while writing for the paper had a huge impact on my acceptance into the program. He loved it. I couldn’t count the number of times in the past few weeks he has talked me up to the class because I wasn’t paying attention until I noticed all the new English majors’ eyes were on me.

I also began reworking my senior thesis, a task I actually questioned whether or not I wanted to do. I realized right away that the word ‘thesis’ had become synonymous with Hell in my vocabulary forcing me to change the word ‘thesis’ to ‘novella’ so that I can actually work on it without wanting to throw my copy of Jane Eyre out the window (it’s raining outside so that punishment is a lot worse than it sounds). Every time I tried to work on it in the first week or two, I wanted to delete the entire 28 pages I spent an entire year working on and start over. I began to hate what was once my all-time favorite novel. I hated Rochester and his constant need to manipulate and control Jane (which is saying a lot because while most critics hate him because he is a douche bag, I find him fascinating because of it). I hated Jane for telling the story and making me hate Rochester. I hated Bronte for creating Jane and having Jane tell her story which made me hate Jane because she made me hate Rochester (wow, yeah I said that). Moral of the story was that I had to make myself excited about my thes…er, I mean, novella again. Now, to get in the mood, I say something like “I’m going to go work on my novella now...” and I don’t mind working on it.

12:21 p.m.: exactly two months and 21...wait, I mean, 22 minutes since my last post. Must get sleep, will write some more tomorrow…hopefully.

1 comment:

Britt :) said...

Yah, you're blogging again. It's addictive... and I'm super excited you're working on your thesis/novella again. See you at work lady.
ps- loved the usage of the word douche bag.